TierraCast is one of my favorite brands to work with. Made with high quality materials, it’s hard to compare. Their new Makers Collection is no exemption. Not just limited to an awesome selection of large caps and cord ends, this collection also features some really cool toggle clasps as well.
Let me tell you, this collection is gorgeous. The caps are beautifully crafted and extremely usable. They work perfectly to make leather tassels! I whipped up several different colors and used them to make some simple long necklaces. I find myself gravitating towards longer necklaces this season and pairing a tassel with a strand of size 8/0 seed beads makes an easy every day piece.
Large TierraCast Cord Ends
Glue (I love Crafters Pick The Ultimate Craft Glue)
1) Cut a scrap of cardboard the size you wish your tassel to be. You can also just wrap the leather around your fingers. (Image 1)
2) Wrap the leather around the cardboard 12 times. 6 strands should be visible on each side. (Image 2)
3) Holding tightly on one end, cut the leather cord on the opposite side. (Image 3)
4) Wrap a piece of scrap wire around the leather to hold it together. (Image 4)
5) Trim the looped end of the tassel straight across. (Image 5)
6) Apply glue to the inside of the cap. (Image 6)
7) Insert leather into the cap. Remove the scrap wire and trim the ends of the tassel to the desired length. Set aside to allow glue to dry (Images 7-8)
Embellishing the tassel:
1) Cut a 20 inch piece of copper wire. Make a loop and attach the tassel. (Images 9-10)
2) String desired bead onto the wire. Make a wrapped loop with a large enough opening to string a piece of leather cord through. (Images 11-12)
I wanted to experiment with a few different ways to use the tassels. They really are a versatile piece that can be used on necklaces, bracelets or even earrings!
In the picture above, I used both the Taj and the Pagoda style caps. The Taj style is smooth and elegant while the Pagoda style has a channel around the cap. The great thing about the Pagoda style caps is that they can be used as-is or they can be further embellished with bead word or crystal clay! The above necklaces were paired with some fun bone beads and strung on leather cording.
For the two outer necklaces, I opted against embellishing them with a bone bead. I decided to leave them just as they were and string them onto a strand of seed beads. I find the size 8/0 seed beads to be the perfect side for a project like this. Not too small and not too big… just right!
I also experimented with the Cupola style cord ends. The Cupola caps do not come with a pre-done loop but have a hole in the top making them perfect for a seed bead tassel. For instructions on your to make your own beaded tassel, check out this tutorial for a Tiffany’s Inspired Necklace.
I also have some great news for upcoming events in our store. The folks from TierraCast will be in our showroom this Friday and Saturday, August 8th and 9th to do some awesome make-n-takes. This Saturday, we will be hosting our second annual Summer Artisan Market. If you are in the area, I hope you will join us! Last year was a great success and I’m happy to announce that this year will be bigger and better.