Need a large statement necklace to add to your summer wardrobe? Well, then this tutorial is perfect for you! I made this necklace a while ago and since then, it has found its way as a staple piece. It only takes a couple of basic jewelry making techniques to create. There are quite a few steps to this tutorial but the One-Step Looper tool really speeds up the process!
15pc – 12mm Purple Neon Round, 12RD696-NL
7pc – 10mm Green Neon Round, 10RD686-NL
15pc – 8mm Capri Blue Neon Round, 8RD668-NL
13pc – 6mm Pink Neon Round, 6RD694-NL
6pc – 5mm Yellow Neon Round, 5RD622-NL
5pc – 5mm Orange Neon Round, 5RD638-NL
3pc – 4mm Purple Neon Round, 4RD696-NL
1pc – 4mm Dark Blue Neon Round, 4RD678-NL
5pc – 5mm Silver Rhinestone Rondell, 73CC212-S
8pc – 6mm Silver Rhinestone Rondell, 75CC212-S
7pc – 7mm Silver Rhinestone Rondell, 76CC212-S
15pc – 6mm Silver Jump Ring, 6FI222-2S
30pc – Silver Eye Pin, 32FI63-S
15pc – Silver Head Pin, 50FI61-S
20in – Large Silver Curb Chain, 56CX1812
2pc – 10mm Silver Jump Ring, 10FI220-S
1pc – 12mm Silver Jump Ring, 12FI208-S
1pc – Large Silver Clasp, 34FI647-S or 31FI647-S
1) Thread all 15pc of the 12mm purple round onto eye pins. Set aside. (Image 1)
2) In the following order, 6mm pink round, 6mm rondell, 8mm capri blue round, stack onto head pin. Make 2 and set aside. (Image 2)
3) In the following order, 6mm pink round, 6mm rondell, 8mm capri blue round, stack onto eye pin. Make 6 and set aside. (Image 3)
4) In the following order, 8mm capri blue round, 7mm rondell, 10mm green round, stack onto head pin. Make 2 and set aside. (Image 4)
5) In the following order, 8mm capri blue round, 7mm rondell, 10mm green round, stack onto eye pin. Make 5 and set aside. (Image 5)
6) String 5mm yellow round onto head pin. Make 6 and set aside. (Image 6)
7) In the following order, 5mm orange round, 5mm rondell, 6mm pink round, stack onto head pin. Make 2 and set aside. (Image 7)
8) In the following order, 5mm orange round, 5mm rondell, 6mm pink round, stack onto eye pin. Make 3 and set aside. (Image 8)
9) String 4mm dark blue round onto head pin. String 4mm purple round onto head pin, making 2. String 4mm purple round onto eye pin. (Image 9)
10) Use the One-Step Looper to create loops on each of your threaded eye and head pins. You can also make the loops by hand. (Images 11-13)
11) Create links as shown in Images 14-19 above.
12) Image 14, make 2.
13) Image 15, make 6.
14) Image 16, make 2.
15) Image 17, make 2.
15) Image 18, make 2.
16) Image 19, make 1.
17) Lay out completed links as shown in Image 20.
18) Connect links to chain with jump rings. Start in with the center and attach to every other link in order. (Image 21-23)
19) Use a 10mm jump ring to connect the 12mm jump ring to the chain. (Image 24)
20) On the opposite side, use the 10mm jump ring to connect the clasp to the chain. (Image 25)
Neon is a trend that just won’t die and you will find yourself wearing it for the entire summer. You’d also be surprised at just how versatile a piece like this can be. I like to pair it with lighter or neutral colors to really let the bright colors POP! I’m actually wearing it today with a light grey flannel shirt. The neutral tones of the shirt really let the necklace stand out without it being too bright and obnoxious. If bright and obnoxious is what you are going for, try pairing the necklace with a curve hugging black dress and sky-high heels. Now that’s a look that is sure to get some attention.
The finished necklace is just over 20 inches once you add the jump rings and the clasp so it sits right about at your collar bones. In order to wear it over my shirt in the picture above, it needed to be a little longer. I simply added a length of ribbon to the back and tied it at the length I wanted. The collar of the shirt and my hair hide the ribbon and the necklace sits exactly where I want it. This is an easy way to quickly lengthen a too-short necklace and it’s temporary so you aren’t altering the original design.
You can find the entire supply list on our website HERE. Simply click the box that says “Add to Cart” to place your order. And as an added bonus, you will find all our neons on SALE 10-20% OFF today through May 19th. Check out our website to see all the items on sale now!