If you had a chance to read my last blog post about Rhinestone Sunglasses, then you may have seen me mention Swarovski’s new Flame flat-back crystal. I absolutely fell in love with the shape and wanted to play around with it a little more. With 4th of July right around the corner, (seriously, you guys! Summer is almost here!!) I thought it would be fun to do a themed project with the Siam flame. I also created a red leather version with crystal AB flames.
Soft Leather Sheet – Cobalt or Aurora Red
Swarovski Flame – Siam or Crystal AB
Swarovski Flat Back SS16 – Siam
6mm Jump Rings – Silver or Gold
Ear Wire – Silver or Gold
Create Recklessly Leather Tool Kit Deluxe
Create Recklessly Tooling Board with Ruler
1) Plan out your design on a piece of paper (I used the packaging that the leather came in) and cut it out. Trace the design onto the back side of the leather. Repeat the image for the second earring and cut out leather with a sharp pair of scissors. (Images 1-6)
2) Using the 1.5mm punch in the Create Recklessly Deluxe Tool Kit and Tooling Board to punch holes in the very top and the bottom corners of the top piece, the top and bottom corners of the middle section and the top corners of the bottom piece. (Images 7-8)
3) Put a drop of glue on a piece of scratch paper and use a toothpick to apply it to the rhinestones. I found it easiest to apply the glue directly to the back of the larger stones but to apply the glue to the leather for the smaller round stones. It’s helpful to plan out the pattern before you begin to glue. (Images 9-11)
4) Attach jump rings to the holes that were previously punched into the leather. Connect the links together with another jump ring. Be sure to wait until the adhesive is dry before adding the jump rings. (Images 12-14)
5) Connect an ear wire to the top jump ring. Repeat all steps to create the second earring and get ready to wear these stunners out and about! (Images 15-16)
As you can see, these earrings are HUGE! The great thing though, is that they are super light weight and won’t kill your ears to wear them. I love big statement earrings but I don’t really like the pain that can come from wearing them. This design is really easy to scale down, as well, if big earrings aren’t your thing.
Here is the Red and Crystal AB pair of earrings. These are less holiday-centric but are just as much of a statement piece as the blue ones. We carry 9 different colors of this leather so there are other options if you want to make a similar pair for wearing every day.
Not only do we have a large selection of leather sheets but we carry the entire line of leather straps from TierraCast if you want to create earrings with leather on a smaller scale. We also carry 1 inch suede lace that would work great for earrings and comes in some really pretty colors. Pair all your leather options with all the different flat back crystals we carry, and the options are pretty much endless.
If you follow us on Facebook, you may have noticed that we have started posting some live videos on our page! They are so much FUN to make and I love interacting with all of our fans. I plan on posting a different take on these leather and rhinestone earrings via live video in the very near future. Be sure to like our page so you don’t miss out!