I am so excited to share this fun new project with you! Have you ever had a moment where you look at a random object and get super inspired to make some fun new jewelry!? Well, that’s exactly what happened to me the other day! I came across these little “clamshell” boxes normally used to store beads in and a lightbulb when off in my brain. I thought, I can make some really cute, spring jewelry with these! I’m sure you’ve all seen those nifty little floating lockets, right? Here is my take on the completely interchangeable and customizable necklace trend. I love that you can fill these clear boxes with just about anything.
18in – Polyester Pipe Lilac/pink – 50CH500-LP
1se – Tierracast Cord End Set 6mm Pagoda Rhodium – TC6813-RP
2pc – Plastic Clamshell Packages 1.75×2 In – MS151
1pc – Plastic Clamshell Packages 2.5x2x.5 Inch – MS152
500pc(approx) – Plastic Disco Round Opaque Aurora Borealis Finish Mix 6mm, PL211-6AB
3pc – Jump Ring Antique Silver 12mm 13 Gauge 10pc/8gm, 12FI208-AS
Glue – Crafters Pick, FI405-CP or E-6000, FI399
Find the complete supply list for the Gumball Party Necklace HERE.
1) Cut the polyester tubing to desired size. My necklace as approximately 18 inches long.
2) Melt the end of the cord with a lighter to prevent the polyester from fraying.
3) Apply glue to the end of the cord. I used Crafter’s Pick but you can also use E-6000 if you want something that dries a little faster.
4) Place the end of the cord into the end cap and wipe away excess adhesive. Repeat process on the opposite end of the cord. Allow glue to dry.
6) Fill the three clam shell boxes with whatever you like. I used these faceted 6mm beads with an AB finish because they are so bright and springy and they reminded me of gumballs. How fun is that?
7) Connect the boxes to the cord with a large 12mm jump ring.
For another fun variation of this design, try stringing the Tropical Punch Collection polyester tubing (it’s hollow!) onto memory wire. Instead of using the clamshell boxes, try using bead storage tubes. They come in a variety of lengths and you can customize them by filling them with whatever beads or trinkets you wish! I used a white luster 6/0 seed bead to fill mine. I love the white/black/turquoise color combination. Use any large hole spacer bead with at least a 4mm hole (the ones shown were leftover from my Vintage Goddess Jewelry Set and unfortunately are now discontinued.) I recommend using the grommeted glass beads as a similar substitute. If the beads are too heavy for the memory wire, feel free to add a clasp to the ends to keep it from falling off. Find the complete supply list for the Pendulum Necklace, shown above, HERE.
As much as I love a fun piece of jewelry, you know what a love even more? A good April Fool’s day prank! You didn’t really think I was going to actually make some jewelry out of plastic storage containers, did you?! Of course not! Right now through April 4th, newsletter members can save 20% in-store, online and via phone! Just be sure to present your newsletter number at the time of check out to receive your discount. Not a newsletter member? That’s okay, sign ups are so easy! Click here and follow the instructions to sign up. Not only do you get access to exclusive newsletter only sales and discounts but newsletter members receive free (domestic) shipping! Every week, newsletter members are entered in drawing to win a $100 Shipwreck Beads gift certificate, five winners every week! And that’s NO April Fools joke!